Thursday, March 31, 2011

Frankton Memorial Dedication - Cockleshell Heroes - Pointe de Grave - 31/3/11

My wife and I were lucky enough to be invited today, by the Royal Marines, to the unveiling of the new Frankton Memorial, at the northernmost point of the Medoc, Pointe de Grave.

The most moving moment of the ceremony for us, was the moment when two elderly French ladies who had assisted some of the marine commandoes in their escape from the Nazi murderers, who against all rules of warfare, had already slaughtered many of their comrades. This photograph of mine captures the  touching moment after these brave ladies had laid their wreaths:


Another very personal highlight of the ceremony honouring Anglo-French harmony, was the complete absence of any of the blue, yellow starred, EU flags, symbol of the present latest danger to our freedoms.
 
A BBC report is linked here, while a more personal tribute from BBC Scotland is here.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

it was very touching this memorial as my family were brought up with the story of the cockleshell heroes marine ROBERT Ewart was my dads cousin his name was Robert Colquhoun and he was very proud of his cousin

4:48 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I was at the Frankton Memorial Dedication Ceremony with my 3 sisters Janet, Fay and Roberta. We were invited to attend as Robert Ewart was our Uncle, my dad,s younger brother. It was a very emotional day as we met Samuel Wallace's family (he was in the canoe and captured along with Robert). We also met members the other families who were there. It would have been interesting to have met Liz as I remember my dad mentioning the name Colquhoun.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know of the origins of the other memorial to the Cockleshell Heroes, at St George de Didonne and found near the lighthouse. I would like to find out who the sculpor was and what it depicts and why. It seems to show a part man/[art cuttlefish figure that embraces the Gironde estuary. Very annoyingly (to me at least) the English translation of events posted there by the Tourist Board contains many factual errors, grammatical errors and unnecessary words that are totally superfluous. I am intent on changing this.
Any assistance and guidance would be most appreciated.
Lt Cdr P Simpson (RN Commando) Rtd
psimpsonp@yahoo.co.uk

11:43 AM  
Anonymous H Shaw said...

I am very glad to see there is now a memorial to these brave young men and hope to visit it one day.

My late father was a Royal Marine and also volunteered for this mission but was turned down (thankfully). This was despite the fact they had been told it was unlikely they would return alive.

Young Bob Ewart was a close friend and, had he survived the war, my father planned on asking him to be his best man at his wedding. His cruel death, along with that of his comrades, was a great loss indeed.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It would have been interesting to have met Liz as I remember my dad mentioning the name Colquhoun.
Budget Flights To Bangkok

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home