Wednesday, February 08, 2012

A free kick in the teeth for HMRC and Britain's Establishment

The Not Guilty verdict on Mr Redknapp today might be connected with the Jury's attitude to football or to HMRC. I know little of the former but much of the latter, on that basis I can assert that in my opinion it was fully deserved AND a matter for much personal satisfaction. Read one report from here.

Amazingly this was the second such acquittal verdict  in a brief period, a quote from that linked article:

At an earlier trial, which could only be reported for the first time on Wednesday, Mandaric and former Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie were also cleared of evading 600,000 pounds in taxes.

The civil servants who collect the taxes for a democratic nation have a duty that tends to set the tone for the public's feelings regarding the entirety of the state's apparatus.

My experience over many years of the Inland Revenue now known as HMRC, has left me with such contempy for their incompetence and disorganisation that I find myself well pleased with these small victories. In view of what I have read of the evidence presented in Mr Redknapp's case, that should be of considerable concern to the British Establishment, who depend on taxation for their maintenance in power.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to note that, within a few hours of Redknapp being cleared, Fabio Capello resigned as England manager.

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for a few senior managers at HMRC to have resigned for gross incompetence ?

Stupid question, I suppose. Rewards for failure still apply in public service.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home